Since so many people like this little simple conky configuration I decided to re-upload it here with the mods and fixes I made.
I'd like to say one more time all credit should go to the original author here: [link]
I just added the network and now fixed and realigned it so that it uses the Ubuntu font.
I admit I like the GE Inspira font more, but since it's no longer available in no "legal" way to download, I thought it fairer to have it use a font that is available to all. I tested a bunch of fonts and decided on this one. If you want to change it by all means go ahead and do so, just keep in mind the offsets and voffsets will need adjusting.
Just extract and put .conkyrc file in your home directory
- To align the conky properly with your screen/wallpaper just edit the gaps at lines 21 and 22. Don't be afraid to use negative values but be gentle or it might jump to another PC's screen.
- The config tries to detect your network interface between eth1, wlan0 and eth0 in that order. If your network interface has some other random string in it then just edit the file and "search and replace" one of these with the one you use.
- The refresh rate is set to 3sec to keep it working with 0 cpu usage even in very old cpus. You might want to change that to 1. (line 4)
- The config uses three colors that can easily be changed with a "search and replace" as well. e0e0e0 as the color of the stats at the bottom, cccccc as the color of the big fonts and FCD97B as the orange-y colored font. You can switch them to your hearts delight.
- I have enabled the drop-shadows for the fonts because it makes it visible even in low-contrast situations (as can be seen in the preview I hope). If you think they're gaudy you can turn them off at line 13. You can also just change the shadow's color at line 18.
The ubuntu font you can get with a google search or via your distribution's repos.